I would suggest that it is certainly a horn bobbin.  I this that
translucence that you associate with such material.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2330136997&category=193

It looks as if it was originally wire bound in a spiral.  The
"imperfections" at the tail end could be damage but it could equally be that
the turner "ran out of thickness", which is a common problem when trying to
turn a material like horn and antler that is not inherently thick.

Antler does not have translucence, it is like a dull bone.

I think I might have bid for that if I had seen it!

Brian from Cooranbong, Australia
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]