Hello,

Can anyone imagine actually pushing small bones of fish into a hard,
straw-stuffed pillow??  Psssh.

OTH, it is pretty well verified that thorns were used as pins to close
clothing a couple of centuries ago.  There are bushes that have very
long and slender thorns that are suitable for that, but I have a hard
time imagining being able to place them closely enough and precisely
enough for the purposes of the fine laces made at the time.  (I have
actually used them -- my husband grew a bush of the appropriate sort,
just so I could try -- in my reenacting days)

Just out of curiousity, I wonder what lace traditions in other countries
say about it?  Do the authors of lace history in Italy, France, and
Belgium say that this kind of a "pin" was used?  Anyone know?

Carolyn

Carolyn Hastings
Stow, MA USA