I believe that the thorns came from a hawthorn that grew as a shrub (not
the tree), and again I believe that it was brought to this country by
the Europeans.  I don't quite know if Britain is "northern".  The thorns
grow to 5" and are very slender and were commonly used as pins.  But I
think you would be correct that although they are slender, they wouldn't
do for lace.  Guess that is why you never read references to "thorn
lace".  ;-)

I think that metal pins were used very early.  What was invented wasn't
the pin, but rather the modern method for attaching the pin head -- a
labor saving invention that reduced the price.

I wonder if the lacemakers were able to make lace without pins in the
ground, during the period we are discussing?

I suppose that the pins aren't really visible and distinct in the
paintings that exist of lacemakers then.  Seems that is the only way
we'll know for sure.

Carolyn

Carolyn Hastings
Stow, MA USA