I'm a newcomer to lace-making and recently bought some bobbins by mail
order that I didn't realise would be unpolished.  I'm finding that when I
try to lengthen the thread on a bobbin while I'm working, it catches on
the slightly rough bulb as I turn the bobbin. (I'm using fine thread -
80.)

Does anyone know of a way of polishing these bobbins?  I understand that
they're normally polished by machine.  I've tried using fine sandpaper on
the bulb, but it hasn't really helped (or maybe I need really, really fine
sandpaper).

Regards,

Annette Gill, London