Thank you Dearl, Esther and Lorelei for your help and to the two others who
contacted me privately.  I was doing my nails last night when I realised that
the emery board I was using was a lot finer than the sandpaper I'd tried on
the bobbins, so I had another go at smoothing the bulb with the emery board.
It seems to have worked well enough to stop the thread catching.  But it
wouldn't work on the whole bobbin - I think I'd have use the finer grades of
sandpaper that you mentioned.  I think that the wood is probably a bit too
coarse-grained to get a really good finish.

I may not bother to polish the whole of each bobbin if it's going to be so
much effort - it's quite a strain for me to do it as I have repetitive strain
injury to my hands and forearms, and shoulder problems too.  And I've just
ordered lots of bobbins from Winslow, Acorn and Fountains - I found their
websites at the weekend and got horribly carried away!  So hopefully I will
have enough bobbins not to need to use the unpolished ones very much - and at
least they are now usable.

Thanks again,
Annette
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]