With all due respect towards our common suppositions, the ebay item
doesn't say it's for lace bobbins.  It said "thread bobbin," (my
paraphrase); and there's mention of "sewing stuff."
Without knowing much about antique sewing equipment, it sounds like this
thing was used for winding thread onto bobbins for a sewing machine.
The shaft doesn't look long enough for even something spinning
related....
--sue, subsiding back into lurkdom.....