to add to Alice's excellent discussion:

I think that the style of bobbin tends to work best on the sort of
pillow to which it is normally associated. However, try the continental
style, maybe borrow a couple of bobbins, or find something in the
household that resembles the bobbin, attached a thread and go through
the motions on what you have.

I work with the continentals differently than I do the midlands. For the
former I use my knuckles and the between-fingers space more, and for the
latter it is more of a picking-up motion. There is also more 'flicking'
possible, with the continentals, as the bobbins are transferred in
position. This might or might not be a good thing, depending on the
methods of the lacemaker.

For honitons I used a combination of methods - sometimes palms up,
sometimes not, sometimes I store bobbins in my hand, such as when
working a whole stitch (CTC) area.

I find it interesting, from time to time someone who would have learned
bobbin lace with midlands style bobbins and pillow, then tries
continental - or vice versa - suddenly finds that they are now at home
with the lace, as if it was meant to be.

I have been studying some lace photographs using equipment from Tignes -
the upright donut shaped pillows and the characteristic bulbous bobbins
with comparatively skinny necks. I cannot imagine using this equipment
with my usual laces, but I am longing to try one of the traditional laces
from Tigne (a freehand lace - i.e. no pins, or very few, between sides)(a
digression - I don't think I'll be able to acquire one of the lovely
traditional pillows with carved stand, but I can try using a Chevy air
filter for a base via Adele's idea. but what to do about the appropriate
bobbins? hmmmm.....<vbg>). I notice that the bobbins on Tigne pillows with
work in progress have rather short tethers. Whether this is the process at
rest, or short tethers are the norm, I don't know...yet...  :)))

The Spanish bobbins used on the upright bolster pillow are held palms
up; the heads of these bobbins are rather large, but they are meant to
hang vertically, or nearly so.

I have some hooded bobbins that I use exclusively at a bolster pillow.
Right away I worked them palms up, and I acquired some funky big-headed
pins to use as 'holders' for the pairs I want out of the way when I'm
working the current pairs. At first I thought it would be awkward having
to keep moving bobbins around, but one soon develops a rhythm of working.
There are things I don't like about the bolster, such as the way I have to
position myself - this is not the fault of the bolster of course!

A good thing to keep in mind if you have pain in the hands or arms, is
to see if adjusting your posture, position (such as height of chair,
standing, sitting - which is better) helps any. Keep the wrists lower
than the elbows. It becomes a game of detail - adjust the chair, get a
better light, find a footrest. I like to work in daylight, standing - so
I have my pillow stacked on a couple of boxes near a window, or whatever
desk arrangement I can find so as to avoid stooping.

You may need to use the continentals on a less-domed pillow than the
midlands. I prefer a slight dome for both, except honiton where the round
pillow of a certain size acts with the characteristic bobbins. Honiton
bobbins have to be 'just right' - not too heavy, nor too light, too long
or too short, or too big of a head - or too small.

I think my message is getting too long....too!
bye for now
hope everyone is having a good weekend - Bev in Sooke BC who shouldn't be
thinking of Tigne laces, but working on her Flanders instead