I am no copyright expert. But I think there are a number of issues here,
first and foremost, what does Ruth Bean actually own? Do they own Patricia Bury's
work or do they own Miss Channer's work or both?
At one point we heard that the jurisdictional issue lies, at least by
American law, in the place where the item is now. So, if there is a version of this
in America, can we apply American law, and does that help matters or hurt them?
What about the person who bought the mat on e-bay. Can she reproduce a
picture of her mat? Can she reproduce it actual size?
Are we absolutely sure that British law applies? Could Miss Channer have
designed the mat in India? She spent many years in Kalimpoong, I believe, for all
we know, her most productive ones. I propose we send a delegation of Indian
lawyers to call on Ruth Bean and discuss jurisdictional issues and the
fascinating subject of Indian copyright law and how it has developed in the
post-colonial sub-continent. I think this will finally bring them to their knees :)
Devon