In a message dated 8/31/03 2:00:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I used to run back and forth to England three or four times a year, so
 it is likely that you and I did meet in Pam's class. Beds and Bucks and Pam
 and Springetts and Luton and Doreens Fudge and Wright and lots more are all
 right here with me on my pillow (I even took a class with Barbara
 Underwood) --  did somebody say on Arachne the other day that we don't need
 to take lace classes anymore because now we have CD's!!

------------
Dear Aurelia and Lacemakers,

To clarify --

That was probably me -- I suggested videos for new lacemakers in far-flung
locations where there is no qualified lace teacher.  Some newbies need to see
the lace being made -- by which I meant those who cannot learn exclusively from
a book.  Especially a problem in the U.S., Canada, and Australia where
distances are great.  (I think the original discussion was about how far one must
travel to take a lace class, and how much it cost.)

I am very mindful that few new lacemakers can afford trips to Europe (or even
from one part of their country to another) to study lacemaking, and that
Videos are a helpful substitute for those on a tight budget, caring for children,
working outside the home, etc.  With a video, you can be exposed to a good
instructor and learn at your own speed - rewinding and watching again, taking out
the video to review after a spell away from your lace pillow, etc.  It is
nice to be in a class with other lacemakers, but it is not always possible.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center