I have come across a rather odd reference and I was hoping some of our British members
might be able to help.

In Gabrielle Pond's book "An Introduction to Lace" she refers to Bedfordshire as a
Torchon lace.

First, in the photographs on page 29, the photo of what I would call Torchon is
labelled "East Midlands Bobbin Lace, c 1870" while on the same page what I would call
Bedfordshire lace is labelled "Traditional Torchon Bedfordshire bobbin lace."

I would have thought that this was just a printing mix-up in the labels, but she makes
the same reference in the text. On page 31 she describes Torchon as "A common type of
lace made chiefly in England and France from cotton or flax, in geometrical designs,
rather similar to Maltese. It is often coarse and used principally for household
linens." I think this description applies more to Bedfordshire/Cluny than it does to
what we now call Torchon, especially the "rather similar to Maltese" reference.

My question is - did people in England generally refer to Bedfordshire as Torchon
lace, or is this just something Gabrielle Pond came up with?

By the way, these references are taken from the second edition of the book, published
by Charles Scribners Sons in 1973.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)