Robin,

Thanks very much for your suggestions about silk threads.  I think I've seen
YLI threads in local quilt shops, but I don't know whether that included
their silks.  (Or maybe it was in Hobbycraft - sorry for mentioning the H
word, Jean and Liz!)  Thanks also for the tip about the thread untwisting -
I have problems with that when I use continental bobbins, so I'd better
stick to Midlands bobbins when I use silk.

Regards,
Annette, London

> In my opinion, silk is no harder to use than linen and cotton.  Gutermann
> silk is the most like cotton in look and feel, so I don't think you want
> that if you're trying silk for its difference.
>
> Tire and YLI (and a third brand I can't think of right now) silk come on
> spools that look like sewing machine thread, and that's the stuff I'd
> recommend.  It comes in size 50 and 100, and I've used both sizes for
Bucks