This is further to my post of Sep 13th regarding my recently acquired antique
bobbin winder. Repeated below is some of the same information posted then and
I now enclose a photo.

(Copy this address into your web browser, open, go to "new albumer", and the
thumbprint of the photo should appear.  Click to enlarge the print.)

You will see that the winder is clamped onto a stool. The seller had no
information about it. It is 7" (18 cm) high and the top is 8-3/4" X 6" (22 cm
X 15 cm). Whatever its original purpose it appears it was used indoors and has
likely been refinished at some point in time.
The bobbin winder is reputed to be from the 1830s and Welsh. I haven't been
able to find anything on the Internet to authenticate its age, location of
manufacture, rarity, or value. A friend did some research in her personal
library and found something similar in "Charles Freeman's "Pillow Lace in the
East Midlands", page 42, figure 3. A wooden screw mechanism holds the winder
onto the edge of a table. It seems this design was made "later" than the
earliest winders, but there is no indication of when "later" was. I have no
idea what kind of wood it is made from. The bottom part that clamps to the
table appears to have been stained (not painted) with a black ink-like colour
and there is evidence of this colour in some of the grooves on the flywheel.
The winder is in wonderful condition and runs smoothly. It shows evidence of
gentle use and could be used again (but with the risk of breaking the bobbin
holder by forcing a bobbin into it). The cord on the flywheel has been
replaced by a modern elastic band.

Does anyone have information to assist me in learning more about this antique
winder? Thanks for your help.

Ruth Johnson

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada