On Sunday, Oct 19, 2003, at 07:26 US/Eastern, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The Daylight Company website I quoted <A HREF="http://www.daylightcompany.co.uk/";>http:// www.daylightcompany.co.uk/</A> also
has a link for US visitors to their US site - <A HREF="http://us.daylightcompany.com/";>http://us.daylightcompany.com/</ A>

Hope this may help - I know they aren't cheap but they are fantastic quality
and as I said before, their customer service is wonderful.

Daylight, Ott... The light they produce is wonderful, but I'll get one of the portable ones when they become *truly* portable... That is, battery-operated :) My last 3 workshops had been a maze of cables snaking all over the place, extension cords, and those socket-outlets, which permit more than one appliance to be plugged into a single wall-socket; it was "watch where you step" all the time... I do have a battery-operated little task lamp (thanks to Audrey Yingling -- an Arachnean from California, whom I met in Tonder in '01) and it's perfection in many respects -- size, weight, reach (it has an "arm" which can be extended and positioned/twisted to shine at the right spot), stability... Unfortunately, the quality of the light itself stinks -- it's yellow, not natural...

So I try to arrive for my first class as early as I can, and steal the best (light-wise) seat. And I still dream of Tonder (Hojer workshop) where, if one sat near the window, one could work till almost 21:00 without even *needing* a lamp... Starting at 8:00, a *lot* could be done, even with a leisurely lunch break.

Like Carol (Adkinson), I too use magnifiers sometimes. My old Dazor for working in thread ends into lace and for joining/ mounting the lace. And, for checking (how have I done the first corner? Should I try to repeat it?) -- there's a good, old, linen-tester... :) But I don't make lace with magnifiers, and try to avoid making it in artificial light whenever I can (which is most of the time, since I'm not gainfully employed and can apportion my time as I see fit)
-----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia, USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland