HI Liz and others,
  I believe I hitch my bobbins just like you do. I hitch them where I wind the thread.
Holds fine for me and usually I don't have a tough time getting the thread to unwind
when I need more, but sometimes I do. When that happens I just get my trust pin out
and pick up where it is hitched on the neck of the bobbin...unwind and then tighten
the hitch again.
  As far my aluminum bobbins go that my husband has made me I have had no problem with
them. The aluminum that my husband makes the bobbins out of is company stock. Might be
left over or something, but they are nice and they are as light as my other bobbins.
Some time I will get a scan of them and put a picture of them up on my website for
others to see.And they do not leave any marks that I have ever seen...though truth to
be told I can pretty much count on my fingers...okay maybe toes too how many
bobbinlace things I have made.
  Sherry