christening gown. The part that scares me, though, is that you put in the
ground after you make the motifs, thus joining them together. It seems to me
that it would be difficult to keep the ground looking even as you do this. Has
anyone done this, and is it hard to keep it even? Any hints would be greatly
appreciated.

Thinking back to the days I taught crochet in nightschool, one of the difficult points was to join pieces neatly. See if you can follow this: Say that you have to ch5, join, ch5, join on the opposite piece, ch5, join, etc.
OK, ch5, for the join on the first piece, just use a slip stitch (one loop already on hook, push hook to stitch where join is to be made, grab thread and pull all the way through).
ch 5. Drop the loop off the hook, push the hook into the spot on the second piece where the join is to be made, grab the loop and pull through, ch 5. Etc.
The right side of the work is always facing you, and there is no awkward turning of your work.
Esther Perry