I will make the admission that my first design attempt was based on the
Unicorn in Captivity tapestry. I used curly left over thread for the tail and I
placed it against a background of Virgin Ground, a joke that is wasted on
practically everyone. (Tradition has it that a unicorn can only be captured by a
virgin.)  However, I really messed up the border, so I don't display it.
Having satisfied the requirement of "Lace content" I will add that the
Unicorn Tapestries in the Cloisters were the property of the La Rochefoucauld
family, hanging in the chateau of Verteuil during the time of the Revolution. They
were looted by peasants who used them to cover vegetables in the field to
protect them from freezing. In the 1850's Count Hippolyte de La Rochefoucauld and
his wife Countess Elizabeth went about trying to buy back the things that had
disappeared from the chateau. A peasant's wife informed the countess that her
husband had some old "curtains" covering vegetables in the barn that might be
of interest to her. They were the unicorn tapestries. In the 1920's they were
purchased by John D. Rockefeller and hung in his house. Mrs. Rockefeller
entertained the Needle & Bobbin Club in her home and shared them with this august
lace club. (Perhaps the account is among the N&B Club Bulletins on the
Professor's web site.)  When the Cloisters, a pet project of Rockefeller, was
established,clever James Rorimer, then head of the Metropolitan Museum of Art which
owns the Cloisters, designed in a Tapestry room for them and presented the design
to Rockefeller to approve. Rockefeller obligingly gave the tapestries to the
Museum.
I am interested to see that there is a La Roche family involved in the French
Unicorn tapestries. I wonder if there is any relationship between the two
families and if they had a special thing for unicorns.
Devon
who has an entire shelf of unicorn tapestry books, all professing to explain
the symbology, but none agreeing.