am 24.11.2003 0:01 Uhr schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED] unter [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I will make the admission that my first design attempt was based on the
> Unicorn in Captivity tapestry. I used curly left over thread for the tail and
> placed it against a background of Virgin Ground, a joke that is wasted on
> practically everyone. (Tradition has it that a unicorn can only be captured by
> virgin.)  However, I really messed up the border, so I don't display it.
> Having satisfied the requirement of "Lace content" I will add that the
> Unicorn Tapestries in the Cloisters were the property of the La Rochefoucauld
> family, hanging in the chateau of Verteuil during the time of the Revolution.
> They
> were looted by peasants who used them to cover vegetables in the field to
> protect them from freezing. In the 1850's Count Hippolyte de La Rochefoucauld
> and
> his wife Countess Elizabeth went about trying to buy back the things that had
> disappeared from the chateau. A peasant's wife informed the countess that her
> husband had some old "curtains" covering vegetables in the barn that might be
> of interest to her. They were the unicorn tapestries. In the 1920's they were
> purchased by John D. Rockefeller and hung in his house. Mrs. Rockefeller
> entertained the Needle & Bobbin Club in her home and shared them with this
> august
> lace club. (Perhaps the account is among the N&B Club Bulletins on the
> Professor's web site.)  When the Cloisters, a pet project of Rockefeller, was
> established,clever James Rorimer, then head of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
> which
> owns the Cloisters, designed in a Tapestry room for them and presented the
> design
> to Rockefeller to approve. Rockefeller obligingly gave the tapestries to the
> Museum.
> I am interested to see that there is a La Roche family involved in the French
> Unicorn tapestries. I wonder if there is any relationship between the two
> families and if they had a special thing for unicorns.
> Devon
> who has an entire shelf of unicorn tapestry books, all professing to explain
> the symbology, but none agreeing.
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello Devon
I don't know if there is a relationship between the two families La Roche
and La Viste but it is sure that there is a relationship between the two
series of tapestery. I know both because I saw both twice. This one of the
family La Viste was at least till 1841 in the original home le chateau à
Boussac, this is south/est of Chateauroux. The tapestery came into
Cluny-museum at 1881 but i am not sure if the cloister Cluny at that time
still was a museum.
For those of you who are interested in the subject here two links which I
got from Sof:

http://fbecuwe.free.fr/licortap.htm
http://www.insecula.com/salle/MS00985.html

Greetings from rainy, rainy hamburg in Germany
Ilske