Roslyn wrote:
I read this week a filler in the paper that said "all the famous lacemakers
were men."
Now I don't know famous lacemakers nor if they were men or women, but I had
always thought that the men associated with lace were more like middlemen.

As far as I know, here in Catalonia (Spain), some men were the lace designers while women were the workers of lace. I consider whereas, the work of the women more important, as it is more difficult to adapt a design to lace that just to draw the pattern.
And I can add too, that we know the name of the men but not the name of the women who worked the laces.

Carolina. Barcelona. Spain.
--

Carolina de la Guardia http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/ http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/encajebrujo.html