>>>From: Karen Butler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Similarly, the inexpensive polystyrene pillow  I bought to try Honiton
developed  a hole in the centre.  It is still usable, with pieces of green
baize packing the hole, but as I've since bought a traditional Honiton
pillow, it is only used occasionally.<<<

This is from re-using the *area* instead of re-using the *holes*.  When you
prick on the pillow, the pin goes into the same hole.  When you do a series
of motifs on the same portion of a pillow, you're putting pins into
*approximately* the same place, which damages the area around the last set
of pinholes.  Do that often enough, and you've got overlapping pinholes.
But if you prick on the pillow and *leave the pattern there* to work, you're
using the same pinholes, not putting pins *next to* former pinholes.  That's
why it's not more wear to the pillow.

>>>Incidentally, if you prick vertically on a pillow, and pins are angled
back (and to the side at edges), the holes made in the pillow by pricking
would not conform with the subsequet pin hole.<<<

Why would you prick differently than your intended pin-directions?  I prick
the edges outward and the pins slide right into the slots I made with the
pricker.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA