>>>From: Bev Walker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I'm all for labour-saving steps - I seldom pre-prick a pattern, but if I
do, it is when the pricking is in place on the pillow. >>>

There are times it becomes pretty important.  For example, I find it very
hard to get pins accurately placed on roller pillows, if the pattern isn't
pre-pricked.  Between difficulty seeing the dots (with pins and threads
crowding around) and the tendency for the pin to slide down the front of the
roller instead of digging in exactly where you pointed it, pins can be off
by as much as half the pin-spacing.  This can be pretty obvious in ground,
and can distort the lines of figures/shapes.

Even on cookie or block pillows, fine (narrow-spaced) lace doesn't give you
much room for fudging, and the fine lace is also that much more crowded with
pins and threads.

As lazy as I am, I nearly always pre-prick (or regret it when laziness or
hurriedness won) at least the first few inches.  Then I start the pattern
and prick some more when I approach the end of the pinholes.  My
productivity is not so high that I'm in danger of wearing out my pillows by
pricking on them, so I will continue the practice despite the dire warnings
of some.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA