Hey JoAnne!That's great news about your Miss Channer's mat.  Sounds like
you've been lacing up a storm since that last time I saw it! You've
gotten a lot of great responses for finishing your mat.  I think that's a
great idea to see what sort of rules the ISF people will use.  Frankly,
I'm wondering how much their judges really know about lace.  If you're
lucky they'll be able to tell it's not tatted! LOL!  I wonder if Doris
has any idea about what they might be looking for?  She probably knows
what they *should* be looking for, but again it depends on how much that
particular judge(s) know about lace. I've done some research about
framing my cross stitch and other needlework.  If you want to use glass,
then for sure you don't want the non-glare stuff.  It's better to go with
regular, or splurge and get the conservation type of glass.   Peppertree
Studios has an example of a print behind all 3 types.  The non-glare
really gets distorted and looks terrible, IMHO.  And I also recall
hearing on the 'net that it has some bad fumes or acids that aren't good
for needlework.  Frankly, I rarely use glass on my cross stitch since
there are no smokers in our house and we aren't on a gravel road.  I like
to be able to see the texture up close and personal if I choose.   But
then, I haven't finished *the* mat either!  That I just might put under
glass!!!  And I think for sure if it's going to travel to fair. I like
your idea of mounting it on fabric and then mounting the fabric.  Like
the others have said, never trust something this special to just any old
framer.  I take my needlework to Sharon at the Needlecase (over by
Wal-Mart now).  She presumably (since i've never peeked behind the paper)
laces fabric to the board instead of using pins or tape.  This is
prpobably more important for me because the working being mounted is my
xstitch, whereas it's just the backing fabric in your case.  But still,
it's nice to know that the person doing the work appreciates your work.
I've also laced a few of my own things so I could help you do that if you
decide to frame it yourself.  Or maybe if you get it all mounted, then
the framer would just have to order the mats (if desired) and frame and
pop all the stuff together. Hey, hope I see you at the next guild meeting
on Wednesday!Anita