In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tamara
P. Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Feb 24, 2004, at 7:59, Clay Blackwell wrote:
>
>> At Guild last night, two of our new members reported that they had
>> tried to find copies of Cook's "Practical Skills in Bobbin Lace" and
>> after several unsuccessful attempts, learned that the book is out of
>> print!
The 1997 version is recorded as "out of stock, cannot accept orders at
this time" on the Tesco book warehouse website. (Tesco is one of the
UK's large supermarket chains). However, a couple of entries further
down I found a new one, "Lace", no author quoted, available for pre-
order, due at the end of April. So I clicked the information button, and
it came up as:

"  VA
Lace

Hardback 1-85177-418-1
Published: 30 Apr 2004 - Publisher: V & A Publications
Available to pre-order, normally delivered on release date

Tesco Price: £30.00

Clare Browne has selected examples across the full range of designs and
fashions, to demonstrate the skill and variety lace-makers have achieved
in their work. She explores the history of lace-making from its origins
in the late fifteenth century, showing how patterns and techniques
developed to serve the fashions of the day. Lace-makers became more
adventurous as technical developments in needle and bobbin lace opened
up new possibilities, while later sophistication in design brought
astonishing naturalistic effects, particularly in the depiction of
flowers and plants. Specially photographed details provide a feast for
the eye as well as a survey of exquisite craftsmanship. This book will
be additionally valuable as a record of important parts of a collection
which by its nature is too fragile to be displayed. It also offers a
wide-ranging survey of the art and craft of lace-making down the ages
that will appeal to needlework enthusiasts, designers, students and all
those interested in historical fashion."

Looks as if it might be an interesting one to look out for, in a few
months' time.  V & A, of course, is the Victoria and Albert Museum in
London.

--
Jane Partridge