Hello Pat,
I am also thinking of making a shawl, but I haven't got decided yet of what
I am going to do exactly. But there are various options:

1. "Make the whole shawl in bobbinlace". This will take you ages, but is
looks beautiful. A standard size shawl is 70x200cm (including the frindge).
As 70cm is too wide to make with bobbins, shawls are usually made of
stripes, which are sewn together while you work. (I would choose a pattern
of a torchon insertion and use a thick thread like N. 30 or 40). First you
work one stripe about 2 meters long. Once you finish this stripe and unpin
it, you start the next stripe placing the already made one touching the
footsides (you have to put some pins to keep the made one in place), so that
you sew it the second stripe to the already made one while you work.  You
have to choose a pattern with about 25 or 30 pairs, and you will need about
5-6 stripes.

2. "Only make the edging". Buy a piece of cloth (linen, silk or any other
apropriate for shawls) and make a bobbinlace edging for each border (two
70cm long edgings). There are easy patterns of torchon, which also have a
fringe included, for shawls. This kind of shawl has much less bobbinlace
work, but looks very nice too.

3. "Make an edging and an insertion". Apart from the edging you can add a
combining edging near the border of the shawl.

Hope this helps you to get decided of what to do.
Many greetings from Antje, in a Guadalajara full of sorrow and dispair.