In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tamara
P. Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>PS. The leaf-shaped ones are also called "Cluny leaves"; in Honiton,
>they're called "wheat"-something; can't remember what. And "leadwork"
>is also one of the names used, at least in the English laces... Good
>luck "hunting" them up.

I've come across them as leaf tallies in Torchon and Cluny leaves in
tatting. I'm sure it is Bedfordshire where they are wheatears, and the
Honiton leadworks, like Buck's Point d'espirit, are square tallies, not
leaves. (Lynn - leaf tallies are roughly () in shape - unfortunately the
computer won't make the brackets touch, which would show the shape
better! - most leaf tallies, but not all, are pointed at each end).
Rectangular tallies come into Bedfordshire, as "cucumbers" -
particularly at the footside.

One of my former students, a while back, decided to go experimental and
produce a firework picture in various embroidery threads - tapestry wool
tallies worked quite well in this case, and they were big enough to lose
some of the "holly leaf" effects. More so in mohair type yarn! (Not
exactly the easiest thing to work with, but it was effective).

I find it easier to work tallies in some laces than others - Bucks
square tallies cause no problem - but Torchon? the air is blue! Other
than the difference in thread, I have never quite worked out why! Some
of my class have had chance to work four pair tallies recently - those
who get to see the Myth or Mystery exhibition (in Coventry, May to
August this year) will, hopefully, get to see the results!

Tallies (under another name, probably) are also an embroidery technique,
but I can't remember which discipline they come into.

I find it interesting to discover the pet hates amongst lace stitches,
tallies are a frequent one, but one elderly student I had more or less
went into hiding at the mention of the word "gimp"! I've got my lot over
the fear of half stitch by teaching it first - obviously that which you
learn in innocence, you have little difficulty with; it is being told it
is difficult that makes you think it should be.
--
Jane Partridge