> > And the idea of a frame, swivelling freely between two posts, might be
an
> interesting one for an embroidery
> frame, but I wouldn't think it would be all that useful for a lace pillow,
> where the tensioning would always bring it back into an upright position
> (except, perhaps, for the Spanish lacemakers who are *used* to working on
> upright pillows).
>
> Hello Tamara: Yes, we use an upright pillow, but not a swivelling pillow!
So
> this jewel box like pillow wouldn't be comfortable for us either! What a

The article in the Kantbrief published by the LOKK has already been
mentioned here. I got my copy to have a good look at the photographs. There
are two pillows discussed here. One looks most like a rattan table, with a
domed pillow instead of a table top. It has a small drawer, and a round
domed 'lid' that would fit over the pillow. Evidently this 'table pillow'
had been in a lace school for a long time, and was re-discovered because a
curious visitor lifted the lid.
The other one is a wooden  table, and when closed would probably look much
like a desk with a roll-top cover. Inside is a roller piller, almost the
full width of the table, and in front of that a somewhat rounded form,
presumably to lay the bobbins on. It is said to be Spanish and dating from
about 1890-1910. The current owner was told that it was a one-of-a-kind
piece,made by special order.

The LOKK is asking if anyone knows of other similar pillows-in-stands and
would welcome your information at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you go to their website: www.lokk.nl
then click on the word Kantbrief on the right hand side, then on the picture
of the Kantbrief,
and scroll down a bit on the next page, you will see the same photgraph as
in the magazine, of the Spanish pillow-table.

Esther Perry