Mary wrote:

<But, if I place them straight up and down, my lace kind of climbs up the
pins.>

What type of pillow are you using? I can't get on with the high-domed
mushroom ones recommended for beginners at all. I got on fairly OK with
quite a low domed one for edgings and small pieces, but the work and the
pricking still both rose up the pins. Now I almost exclusively use a flat
pillow. The pricking stays flat, and the work only creeps up the pins a bit.
I push the edge pins in all the way round, with only the last inch or so not
pushed in, to keep the work down.

<I'm seeing some puckers in the straight part.>

If the work is more than about 6 inches square or round, I also push in pins
*around* areas of cloth stitch. That means that if my tension isn't all it
should be and the threads don't lie parallel, I can use a large pin to push
them about a bit without wrecking the look of the lace. When I'm satisfied
with how the area looks, I then take the pins out.

<I'm practicing Bruges braids .............. The instructions say to
do a whole stitch and twist at the beginning and end. Okay, do I do that
before or after I place the pin? My edge doesn't look right. It doesn't have
that nice space running down the edges. I've been doing a CTC with the last
2 prs, pin CTCT + T.>

In Bruges lace, there are two ways of working the edge. For the one that
you're doing, you're missing a twist in the workers before working the last
passive pair. Twist the workers before the last pair of passives, then CTCT
the worker with this last pair of passive, put in the pin, CTCT and work
back through the passives. That will put a twist in between the edge pair
and the main passives. It also leaves a twist in the last passive ready for
when you get back to it.

The other edge method is four-about-the-pin-edge, where two pairs of workers
alternate. When you get to the last pair of passives, twist the worker pair
twice, CTCTT, put a pin *under* both pairs rather than between them so that
they both go around over the pin. What was your worker will now be on the
outside. Leave it there and work back with what had been the last passive
pair. Next time you get to this edge, those two pairs will swap places
again. This method gives a straight edge with a good gap between the edge
and the first pair of straight passives. If you've got different coloured
threads, try it with mixed colours so you can see where the threads are
going.

Jean in Poole