The second Elsie Luxton book has directions for sewing a Honiton lace motif
to fabric (ie handkerchief corner) and finishing the rest of the edge.

As I looked for the book to give you its name I realised it's not there.   I
must look in my "library book" to see which student has it, because whoever it
is its been gone for years rather than months or I'd have remembered it's not
here.
Anyway, it's the Honiton designs not techniques one, written by just Elsie
Luxton.

Just be very aware that the first round of stitches is worked one way up over
the lace and reversed when used on the fabric edge.  It does say this quite
clearly but I still managed to not reverse it.  When I came to do the second
round I discovered that I wasn't able to make the finished off edge on the
fabric bit (ie over 3/4 of the edge!) and had to undo it all.  It's still a UFO as
I got bored with it and cross with myself.

Jacquie