At 07:53 AM 5/4/2004, you wrote:
Can someone tell me what this lace is or where I can see samples of it. I
love butterflies and I see that there is a class at the Ithaca Lace days doing a
butterfly with Point Ground. I already have my hotel reservation and hope to
be able to take a class also.
Thanks for your help.
SueW
Morrisonville, NY

Point Ground is a style of lace that uses a particular form of mesh stitch. It's the background stitch used in Bucks Point, Lille, Blonde, Chantilly, Beveren, Tonder, Bayeaux, Downton, Malmsbury, and other laces. It is known as 'fond simple', 'tulle mesh', 'twist net', and 'fond clair'. You can see samples of these laces on Lacefairy webpage on the Lace identification page.

In Bucks Point the ground stitch is made with CTTT and a pin under the stitch for support but it is not closed. There is some variation with different laces with how the edges, gimp, and features are made, but the general procedure is the same. It makes a very dainty lace mesh.

The ground stitches are made on a diagonal line. The Point Ground laces vary on the angle from 45 to 70 degrees.

Perhaps someone who has taken this class before can give you more specific information. I have no idea exactly what these butterflies are like. Sounds interesting.

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon -- back to cool, damp weather for several days.