Thanks everyone for the suggestions, both on arachne and privately.

One personal correspondent suggested this pattern, which appeals to me:
>There's a simple pram design in BL in 75 Quick & Easy BL patterns ( Veronica
>Sorenson).

>For bobbin lace, there is a pattern for a picture of two baby booties in
>the Kortelahti book "Lapsia Nyplaten" (Children in Bobbin Lace), p64.  It
>makes a nice card or little framed picture.  I made it a few years ago.  It
>will take about the time of a bookmark or just a a bit more.
This sounds appealing too.

Clay wrote:
>Well, your stipulation of "fairly modest" probably rules out
>the wonderful Honiton Stork which was designed by Barry
>Biggins and is in his "A Wider View" book of designs.
My lack of competence at Honiton also rules it out.  I admire Honiton, I've
tried it, made some not very good pieces, and decided it's not the lace for
me.
--
Computer programmers do it byte by byte.
Steph Peters, Manchester, England

Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/