At the Tønder Lace Festival I got three books new to me about Tønder lace.
First book: "Femten Bredere Tønderkniplinger" by Astrid Hansen, has a fine
selection of 15 patterns, roughly half take under 30 pairs, the rest over.
Good photos, patterns, and colored diagrams.  I bought the book for the
wonderful wide lace patterns that I've never seen available before.  I got
it at the Tønder Museum and was told it was just published.  Next,
"Tønder/Tyl 17 mønstre med arbejdstegninger" by  Knipling i Denmark,
patterns redrawn by many Danish lacemakers, I think!  I don't know any
Danish so I'm guessing.  Profuse apologies if I've made any mistakes as I'm
certain I have.  Again, well drawn patterns, great colored diagrams, nice
selection running from simple to wide.  My third new book is
"Tønderkniplinger og deres navne" by Jette Petersen.  It is in Danish like
the first two, published by the Tønder Museum, and has very little writing.
It's mostly photos of 138 different patterns of tonder lace, each of which
is named.  The photos are good enough to use as a starting point for drawing
a pattern.

I enjoyed the festival a whole lot.  At first I was dismayed to find out how
far my Tourist Bureau assigned accomodations were from everything, but I
found a bicycle shop renting bicycles.  As soon as I had some wheels, I was
able to get everywhere fast on the beautiful Danish bicycle trails, and I
didn't miss a single lace event.  The crowds of lacemakers were impressive.
On the last day I went on the bus excursion to Rømø.  We stopped first at a
mill in Højer.  The miller had been a lace merchant as well as a miller, and
his ledgers, lace sample book, a pillow if I remember correctly, thread,
many lengths of fine Tonder lace, and photos of the miller and his family
were on display.  Some of us also climbed several levels in the mill and
admired the huge wooden gears inside.

Next we stopped at Lorenzen's Gård in Bådsbøl-Ballum.  It is an old family
farmhouse preserved as a museum by the Lorenzen family.  It has a very fine
collection of long lengths of Tønder lace collected by Hansigne Lorenzen who
lived at the farm with her husband from 1890 until she died in 1952.
Hansigne's daughter Cathrine continued her mothers interest in preseving
Tønder lace, she made lace and taught lacemaking at the farm which she
inherited.  It says in the brochure that the school and farm are open to the
public every July 2pm to 6pm and weekend courses in Tønder lacemaking are
held at the farm every spring and autumn.  There's a website:
www.lorenzensgaard.dk

The third place we visited was The National Museum Commodore's Farm on Rømø.
It's a farmhouse built in the 1700's and hardly changed since.  Only a tiny
bit of lace was displayed, on a woman's costume, if I remember correctly,
but the house and barn were very interesting.  My only regret about the
excursion was that I didn't take "Tønderkniplinger og deres navne" with me.
That's the book with all the photos of Tønder lace.  It would have been nice
to note in my book where I had seen displayed the lace pictured in the book.

Another regret, I didn't take with me my list of participants so I could
note down who I met.  What with all the crowds, and the different languages,
my memories now resemble a whirlwind.  One thing is certain, lacemakers are
such nice people all over the world.

Sally Schoenberg
Anchorage Alaska