Hello Lynn - and Jean !

I am having the most delightful summer working one or two days a week with
fabrics in a quilt shop, and my experience (lifelong - not just this
summer) with fabrics has taught me this...

Silks, as stunning and elegant as they are, do not stand the test of time
very well.  They are, after all, a truly organic substance which does not
withstand the stresses of folding, extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme
dryness, extreme damp, organic invasions (molds & mildew)...  in other
words, they really are "high maintenance" if they are to be preserved to
any degree at all.  Cotton and linen, OTH, are sturdy.  While they are
natural fibers, they are *fibers*, and as such are much sturdier than silk.
Linen is almost never spun finely enough to use as a fabric for a
Christening gown.  But the lawns  and batistes that you can get from
high-quality fine cottons are absolutely stunning (and also more expensive
than you'd expect - but WORTH it!!)

So my suggestion is to find a shop with high quality fabrics which are
marketed to the Heirloom Sewers in our midst.  As you are in Oz, I
recommend you go to a shop that sells magazines and get the latest issue of
"Smocking and Embroidery", which is produced in Australia and the companies
which advertise in that magazine are going to be right up your alley - and
on your continent!!

No connection to any of these resources, but just lending a (hopefully)
helping hand!!

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]