Hello,

I just thought I might chip in here, food for thought.  I know all of
the conservation rules, and I also know so many exceptions -- makes you
wonder.  Anyway, a couple of months ago we christened my new
granddaughter, who was the fourth child to wear the gown my husband was
christened in.  He is 67 years old.  The overdress is machine lace,
still in good condition with no tears, although there is a stain from
his orange juice coming back up.  The underdress is silk, also still in
very good condition after all of this time -- no tears or breaks in the
fabric.  This despite being kept in the worst of conditions (a wooden
drawer in a very dirty coal mining district), so go figure.

I know the old silk (the really old stuff) contained heavy metals which
hastened the break down of the fabric.  Don't know why this lasted so
long, but I also have a sheet from the 16th century (a laying-out sheet)
which is also in just as good or better condition, kept under the same
circumstances.

Just another 2 cents worth -- I usually go the route Clay recommends,
but I'm not sure it really matters as much as we think.

Regards,
Carolyn

PS I think silk is just as much as cotton or linen.  The difference is
it is a protein fiber, while cotton and linen is cellulose.  Think of
how durable wool is, and that is a protein fiber.

Carolyn Hastings
Stow, MA USA

Of