I can't help but laugh when I read about getting straw out of a field and
making a pillow. I did just that and got alot of straw to make a Honiton
pillow. I had not seen or felt a "real" honiton pillow so when I made mine
out of straw I started with the directions in Elsie Luxton's first book. I
am a school teacher so I took it to school with me and had my students jump
up and down on the straw pillow to make it hard. They loved putting straw in
the pillow and then jumping up and down on it. I had heard that someone made
one hard by running the car over it so that it mashed together well.

I had no idea what a "firm" or "hard" honiton pillow felt like so I had no
idea when to stop the jumping. The students soon burst the seams and I, not
wanting to loose all that hard work, made a larger pillow case and put the
old one in it and stuffed straw around the broken one. I then jumped on the
pillow until it was done.

Now I have a very hard, like wood hard, honiton pillow that weighs in around
15 lbs and is about 50 inches in diamiter and 12 inches high. My dear
husband made me a special table to hold it. When I don't use the table to
hold it, I put it on the floor and sit there to work on it. That is
comfortable for me as I am used to working on the floor teaching 3,4 and 5
year olds.

Karisse
Killeen, TX