On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:23:03 -0400, Robin P. wrote:

>please tell me how they stiffen the lace book marks they have made >>>
>
>I don't.  It's been my experience that recipients of my bookmarks consider
>them too precious to use for most things.  They admire them, and some have
>put them into the family bible, but nobody seems to use them for the current
>paperback or whatever.  So I don't see any reason to make them stiff.  The
>bookmark patterns I've used were coarse enough that the thread had body, and
>they don't need to be cardboard-stiff.

And neither do I.  But for a different reason.  I like to put a lace
bookmark on a background of a contrasting colour, to show up the lace
pattern e.g. white and pink lace on lilac.  I buy a piece of grosgrain
ribbon, fold it in half, put the lace on top and then stuff the ribbon and
lace inside a plastic sleeve.  These are then given to carefully selected
recipients, who are told to d**n well use them or I'll confiscate it back
again.
--
Hell is kept warm with profane burners.
Steph Peters, Manchester, England