On Aug 9, 2004, at 20:55, Lydia Mae wrote:

Hi. This question is pertaining to wrapping around a pin. I was working the Baby Heather Edging in the book called Lessons in Bobbin Lacemaking by Doris Southard. The instructions state...

T pair 5 times. Set pin at #3. Then bring the twisted threads around the pin to form the open-loop edge.

Thats what I did and they look "OK" but not great. I was wondering if there was a particular method for wrapping around a pin.

Welcome to the Great Lacemaking Adventure, Lydia! And happy growing into a *big* spider :)

Turning a pair around a pin... I assume that what bothers you is that the loops are a bit untidy once you remove the pins? Try some (or all <g>) of the following:

1) Whenever you have more than one twist per pin on the worker pair (and anything that moves to the headside or footside pin *is* a worker, however temporary its function may be):
T the required number of times, set the the pin, tension all the passives, then *pull the two bobbins of the worker pair apart*, so all the twists settle before and on the pin (which, I notice, Southard suggestss herself, just under the sequence of stitches to follow g>). With the twists nice and tight and well tensioned, work away from the pin. It may look untidy on the pillow, but the twists will relax to cover boths sides of the pin and its tip (that's why I prefer an uneven number of twists: one's for the pin itself, and the rest ought to match in number the distance before and after).
2) Make sure that the worker *is* tight against the pin, and that all the pins lean out to the side at the same angle (ie, the distance from the last stitch to the pin is constant)
3) Keep the side pins in as long as possible, to allow the threads time for "setting" around them; 24hrs is best, but an hour or two is OK if you're in a hurry/making new yardage very fast.

In this particular pattern... The text reads:
WT 4-5, #4.
It *should* read:
WT 4-5, #4, WT

If you're missing that second WT, your distance between the headside and the stitch will be different coming and going. That might account for your dissatisffaction with the look of the "product"

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.