In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>Minimum, one and a half times the measurement of the bit of the leg where it
>is to be worn.
>and the average
>measurement here seem to be 18".  So, that works out to 27".

But remember that not everyone is average! The garters I have made so
far have tended to be for a 19.5" measurement, and the current one is
for 22.5! I work on the "at least twice" rule, which works well with the
pattern I use, (my own design, uses 26 pairs so works up quickly) so I
expect to need a minimum of 40 inches. As Jacqui said, gather some of
the worked lace onto a ribbon and see what looks best. For the elastic,
I work on the leg measurement, minus half an inch, with an overlap of
half an inch to join the two ends. If you use the narrowest bra-strap
elastic (this is the one which is fuzzy on one side), it will grip onto
the bride's stockings and not fall off so easily.

Another thought, when measuring the leg, make sure the intended wearer
is standing up, not sitting down - the measurement standing is smaller
than that sitting! Add nerves to the equation, and a garter made on a
sitting measurement will definitely be too big!

--
Jane Partridge