Hello,

This was my first IOLI convention.  The class I took (Carrickmacross)
was terrific.  I loved meeting old friends and making some new.  There
were some glitches (especially annoying were last minute schedule
changes), which I hope will give food for thought for those planning
next year's convention.

What I really found disconcerting was that for the first and only time
in my 59 years of life, I found myself being "bounced" from a meeting.
I agreed to accompany a friend to the IOLI annual meeting, although I
had joined only two days prior.  When I went into the meeting room I
explained to the people who greeted me that I was a new member and would
just like to sit in the back and observe, that I was there mostly to
keep my friend company.  But, a rule is a rule and I guess the rule is
that you have to be on the "official" list to be present at the IOLI
Annual Meeting.

Funny, I do wonder what the secrecy is all about.  Of course I didn't
expect to vote, but to just observe from the back of the room?  How
silly.  Lacemaking is a very small world, and I would think that related
organizations need to be in evangelizing mode.

Another friend told me that although she had been a member in good
standing for twenty years, she was told she couldn't enter because she
didn't have the right ribbon, or wasn't on the list, or something.  She
was allowed in after telling them that in that case she had paid her
last dues.  All I have to say is, me too.

Regards,
Carolyn Hastings