Hello Lacefriends,
Actually we have both Jugendstil and Art Deco, in english is only one word.
Start with the beginning. The movement called Jugendstil in german who started about 1895 got its name after the Munich magazin "Jugend"(Youth). This movement was first in architecture but very quick in all sorts of art, music, poetrie, peinting, dance, theatre shortly everywhere. It was a movement against industrial things back to handmade. And very important everything should be in the same style. In a house for example the house itself the curtains, the furniture, the dishes still the dresses of the women. The most important motives came from nature flowers, poppys, sunflower, irises, lilies, and others,. All this influenced from japan and put together in a new form of ornamentic. It ended about 1910 but had changed the historicism but has helped to a better form for the live people lived at the beginning of 20th century. Think on the dresses and underwear our grand-mothers had to wear.
Later it became a bit kitchy and the later parts are called in Germany Art Deco. You find examles by a lot of painters like Gustav Klimt, Alfons Mucha, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Louis Comfort Tiffany or in architecture Henri van der Velde, J. Hoffmann, J. Olbrich and a lot of others. In Darmstadt and Plauen in Germany or Vienna in Austriche or Prague in Czech Republic , or Nancy in France you can see lots of wonderfull buildings from that time.
All this had its expression in embroidery and lace as well. I told you about the book "Austria-Lace" from Poldi Winkler and still the Schneeberger-lace. And for the needle-lace have a look to the designs of Dagobert Peche from Wiener-Werkstätten, this fantastic collars and fans with the lillys of the valley or the bellflowers.
Greetings

Ilske