Sherry,
Welcome to the wonderful, addictive, world of Lacemaking.

Ruth and Patty have given you excellent advice. I, too, would have recommended the Rosemary Shepherd book if they had not got in first!! A group of ladies in Darwin - right up in the top end of Oz, used a copy of that book to learn, and they are all great lacemakers, now. They had no teacher, but just worked slowly through the book, and it got them off to a wonderful start.

One other point - use 100% cotton or a linen thread only. Polycotton, or polyester threads may have pretty colours - but they are stretchy, and are very difficult to work with, as they have minds of their own!!. Cotton has no stretch, so your lace can be better tensioned, and will look much better, than if you used a man-made thread. You will have enough to think about without a non-co-operative thread!

Very good luck with it. I know that everyone on the Lace List will be happy to answer any questions, so don't be shy! They all help me out with answers to anything I ask about. No question is "dumb", and I doubt if you can think up any questions that we have not asked at some time!!!!!!!!!!! Learning on your own is difficult, so use this Lace List as the best resource for help.

from Liz in Melbourne, Oz,