Helen
It is interesting to me how many people are now putting color into their
lace.  Your idea of just using colored gimp is one I never thought of.  I'll
have to try it.  I still remember a piece in the Art Institute of Chicago's
collection, just a fragment really.  It had multi colored flowers in a
colored shiny thread, with several different colors in each flower, so the
flowers came out plaid.  Same for leaves.  The ground, a torchon mesh I
think, was black.  I think the date was the 1890s.  Did rayon exist back
then?  Perhaps it was silk.  But I keep on remembering that piece, and am
screwing up my courage to do the same.
Lorelei