Evelynn wrote:

<I would love to see Janis Savage's version of Miss Channer's Mat.   Does
anyone know where you can get this pattern? >

For those who've missed previous discussion of this, Ruth Bean, the
publisher if this pricking and the book that accompanies it, have rejected
many requests to republish it and have reminded us of copyright issues for
anyone considering photocopying it. The only legal way to get a copy at the
moment is to buy a secondhand one, and, as it's as rare as rocking horse
dung, it has fetched phenominal prices on the few occasions one has been
auctioned on ebay in the past.

If you're looking for a real challenge rather than this particular mat
there's a Bucks Point pricking of a cope in  "Fine Buckinghamshire Point
Lace Patterns Belonging to the Misses Sivewright and Pope" from the
Springetts. It's an A3 spiral-bound book of prickings only, and the pricking
for half the cope is divided onto 2 pages (obviously centre back to centre
front). There's a photo of the finished item on page 64 of Thomas Wright's
'Romance of the Lace Pillow' attached. When finished, the lower curved edge
of the cape/cope (which I understand is a bishops' cape) measures about 70
inches, and the depth is about 10/11 inches.

The book's got 11 pages, and, as far as I know,  the only photos of the lace
available are one very short piece of an insertion on the first page, a fan
on the front over, and the cope/cape in Thomas Wright's book. Otherwise
you're on your own as to what the finished lace looks like. The book
contains prickings for 17 edgings/insertions, 2 round mats, a fan and the
cope/cape. Price I have for it is 7 GBP plus 2 pounds 25 pence p&p within
the UK. They post worldwide.

I've got a copy of this book just to look at and dream.

To contact David or Christine Springett:

C & D Springett
8 Strath Close
Rugby
Warwickshire CV21 4GA