In a message dated 12/15/2004 4:12:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Right  here in Baltimore we have Alma
Clarentini (who advertises from time to  time in the newspapers for
"Fine Linens Repaired -- Antique Laces a  Specialty -- Museum Quality
Work" and gives a telephone number  410-747-6442.

OK. Evelyn, give this information to the friend of the friend and let's see
if a deal can be struck. I would be interested to know what happens.

I think that the problem is usually that the people who want lace  repair
don't realize how expensive it will be. When they realize how  expensive it is,
they lose interest in having the lace repaired, since the cost  of repair often
exceeds the cost of the item itself. I was visited in the museum  by a woman
who had bought a large flounce for $250. She had spoken to someone  who was
knowledgable about conservation about how to store it and he had offered  to
put
it in an acid free box with acid free paper for a charge of $250. This  kind
of sticker shock is not uncommon in the unfortunate world of the 21st  century
where lace is undervalued and labor is very expensive.

Meanwhile, I look forward with eager anticipation to the Baltimore
extravaganza. That the Cone sisters, the women who recognized the genius of
Matisse,
were also lace collectors goes a long way toward establishing lace  collecting
as something that people of good taste do.

Devon