Ok, how does one do it? Ie "curve" a straight pattern? Can it be done
without a 'puter's help (seeing that I'm helpless when it comes to
'puters)?

I did use a computer to curve it, but that isn't essential - the computer just takes a
load of work out of it!

You'll need a sheet of polar / circular graph paper, and then decide what the inner diameter is to be. In this case I wanted the inner diameter to fit my wrist but with the bracelet making a sort of cone around it.

The footside is dotted in at that point, using the intersections of the polar graph paper as the equivalent of the square grid. Then you copy over the other dots one by one along the now curved diagonal line for the width of the lace and along the circular lines for the length of the lace. Sorry but describing this in words is too difficult for me. I need to show it!

Usually you will aim to have the dots in the middle of the width of the lace to be spaced about the same distance apart as they would be on square graph paper. This gives you too thick on the inside and too far apart on the outside edge, but it is the best one can do.

I love your cuff/bracelet, especially the black one; a Spanish Grandee
would have been proud to wear that one (the peacock one, somehow, seems
more "diluted" to me; could be the photo); there's a decided "air" to
it... I'm not surprised it caught people's eye...

Yes I am very pleased with the black one - it feels very Elizabethan to me, and it was really enjoyable to make. I haven't yet had chance to wear the peacock set. I don't want to wear the cuffs under a coat as they might get crushed, so I'm waiting for better weather.

It was a lot of fun wearing the black cuff while I demonstrated lace. I was making the peacock version. People would ask what I was making (once we had got beyond the "what one earth are you doing stage?") and I would say another one of those (indicating vaguely my right wrist as I carried on working) but in colour. There would be a moment's silence while they processed my statement and then a gasped "you made that!". It was most satisfying and appealed to my (warped) sense of humour.

My jacket with the straight version of the design on the pocket was in the exhibition, so I could also send them off to see that.

I was not sure whether it would be comfortable to wear if I stiffened it
And, was it? Probably no worse than any wide metal bracelet...

Completely comfortable - unlike some laces made with metallic thread which itch me. I have very sensitive skin, which is a real nuisance. The cuff only touches your wrist in a narrow band and is only slightly less comfortable than silk. I may just refresh the hairspray when needed as it has been so soft to wear. Janice Blair has just reminded me that sometimes Piper's silk bleeds when Moravia starch of PVA glue is used. (I remember now that being another reason I opted for hairspray!)

How wide is it, BTW?
About 2.5 inches at the widest.

I have just thought to upload the copper straight version of the pattern, which is on the pocket as mentioned above (commercial pattern). It was while working that, that I had the idea to curve it to make a cuff/bracelet. There is just something so appealing about the spiky fans.

See   http://www.webshots.com
         Username: Arachne2003, Password: honiton

Sue Babbs (in rainy Chicago - not a good combination with the snow and freezing temperatures! Apparently we can expect flooding on Thursday as the heavier rain runs off the snow and frozen rivers & streams.)