Well, dear Arachnids, I think -- I hope -- that Lorelei's rather dispiriting experience is perhaps not general. I have a gorgeous gold-metallic collar that Brigita Fuhrman made for me (about 20 years ago), and I wear it fairly often for dress-up occasions. It never fails to draw admiring comments! It's a free lace, designed by Brigita herself, and to my mind is of typical Czech flavor. (And I'm sure American cooking is just as good!)

Aurelia

Dear Spiders
Many years ago I worked at an HMO in downtown Chicago, part time.  I decided
to wear one of my neck laces to work as a way of advertising our upcoming
lace day.  The piece I wore was NL 2, which has three flowers in ecru with
red jasper cabochons attached with needle lace cups.  I wore a navy blue
jumper with a navy blue turtleneck shirt so the ecru and red would stand
out.

I got lots of strange looks which clearly said "why is this weird person
wearing this bizarre rag around her neck?".
http://www.loreleihalley.com/bobbinlace.htm  It is in the 2nd row of lace
pictures.  The people in the office were ordinary office workers, and had no
idea they were looking at modern hand made lace, and were not even
interested enough to ask.

I've taken some more recent pieces to work and gotten no verbal comments at
all.  Which I take to mean that they were being polite and didn't want to
say what on earth is so important about this ugly piece of ecru stuff and
how can anyone be so pleased about having made and designed it?

I don't let any of this affect me or my own attitude to what I do.  But the
general public just doesn't get it.

Lorelei

- To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]