In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>Not only that, but the use of hand made lace as trim presents problems  in
>laundering. I do not see any sign that people of the future are going to want
>to do much fussy laundering.

So make the piece to suit the function - the basic rule of any design
brief! Not every piece of lace we make is of heirloom category, and one
of my early pieces, an edging used to trim the yoke of my daughter's
dress - she was 2 when I made it, saw about ten years service (as Hannah
grew, so an extra flounce was added to the dress, she stopped wearing it
when she was 10, and it had a couple of years with my cousin's
daughters) as a favourite dress, being machine washed and ironed. The
lace is made from Sylko (ordinary run of the mill sewing cotton) and is
still as good as when it was first made - the dress now occasionally
comes out to show when I'm demonstrating.

If you are making a piece to wear, accept that it will need laundering -
and design to suit, use sensible, hard wearing threads (which most
natural fibres are - Mom always told me that silk was used for underwear
because it would stand up to harsh washing!) and make sure that your
ends are well secured. Leave the flimsy, hard to clean, lace for that
which is only occasionally worn for special occasions, or that which
will be framed.

We are, after all, using a traditional method to make a piece of cloth
for whatever use we will put it to, whether it is coloured, white, of
simple geometric design or outrageously stylised - what matters, and
impresses people more, is that it can look delicate but stand up to
modern life (hence my reason for taking the dress out with me - it shows
that lace isn't just for underwear).

Handmade lace in the past wasn't made to look pretty - it had to stand
up to being used on bed covers, being positioned to prevent armour
chafing the neck (the reason for Venetian Gros Point cravats), flouncing
over flowing skirts and draping from sleeves - and no doubt likely to be
caught on furniture, etc. It was used for the doily under the cakes at
tea, and to protect furniture from the plates and vases - and it was
washed by laundry maids using methods that probably make Jeri's hair
stand on end, but it made its impression because only the wealthy could
afford it, and as a status symbol. When machine lace, priced to be
affordable for the masses, came in, everyone could have that status, and
so today we see lacy patterns on jeans, trims on collars, as a textile,
it is seen and ignored. Distinguishing hand from machine often makes us
reach for our magnifying glasses - not something Joe Public would bother
about. To be visible, modern lace needs to stand out from the crowd -
and be something a machine possibly wouldn't make - hence the reason why
wire lace is "seen" and silk or cotton lace isn't. Pictures, 3-D items,
etc may be noticed - unfortunately, the lace waistcoat that took months
to make will probably be thought of as machine made - you might get
asked where you bought it, but it isn't out of the ordinary for modern
machines.

In a modern world, handmade fibre lace is probably more valuable as a
means of stress relief than as a saleable art-form!

--
Jane Partridge