[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I remember having visited the Rijksmuseum some years ago for a special
> *temporal* exhibition. I saw about what Lynn described. The exhibition was
> on
> the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Kantsalet and the lace was their
> possession, not the museum's. That explains the 75 I saw recently on this
> list
> too. I'm not sure whether that was 1998. I checked the items of the
> Kantbrief
> of that year but didn't find any reference.
>
> Jo Falkink

Dear Lace Collectors and Historians,

To shed light on any confusion, here is the writeup from the back cover of
Patricia Wardle's book "75 X Lace", published by the Rijksmuseum in 2000, ISBN
90-400-9448-9:

"This book offers a balanced selection of 75 lace pieces from the rich
collection of the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam.  The collection owes *many of its
finest
acquisitions* to 'The First Dutch Society for Lace-Lovers, Het Kantsalet',
which celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2000.  "75 X Lace" offers a
comprehensive
history of lace collecting in the Rijksmuseum over the past 150 years, plus a
catalogue of 75 of its most beautiful and interesting pieces.  These range
from rare 17th-century linen collars with bobbin lace borders up to and beyond
the christening set of costly Brussels needle lace used for the christening of
Queen Wilhelmina and her successors.  This set forms only one part of the
impressive royal lace collection, which has been on loan in the Rijksmuseum
since
1966.  All 75 objects, arranged in chronological order to provide a survey of
over three centuries of lace making, are expertly described and commented on
by Patricial Wardle, who has been involved with the Rijksmuseum's lace
collection for the past 20 years.  She is a well-known author in this field,
who has
published extensively on different aspects of lace and lace making."

In the Foreword it says, among other things: "It is to the generosity of Het
Kantsalet, one of the regulations of which at its foundation was to enrich the
collection of lace of the Rijksmuseum, that the museum owes many of its
masterpieces."  Further on, it says "Over the last 75 years the Rijksmuseum has
been able to reap the benefit of Het Kantsalet's determination to enrich its
lace
collection.  May this publication and exhibition serve to evince the
Rijksmuseum's close links with and gratitude to Het Kantsalet for its tireless
dedication."  This was signed by Professor Ronald de Leuw, Director General of
the
museum.

My copy of this book was published in English, and (unfortunately - since
information of such value deserves long-term durability) the book has a soft
cover.  From time-to-time it has been most helpful in answering important
questions from Tess, Devon, etc.  I recommend this book *for those interested
in the
collection and study of antique museum-quality laces*.  If it is out-of-print,
it is worth a search.  Originally cost under $30.  I am indebted to Kenn Van
Dieren (a member of Arachne) for assisting me in purchasing the book years ago.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center