Hi everyone and Barbara who wrote:

>My thinking is that since I have no idea how the overlapping sewing is done,
>and don't know anyone who can do it, my best chance of success is to begin
>and end the way I know how--with sewings into the starting loops.
>
>Do any of you do that? Is it blasphemy?

Not at all, if it suits you - do so...however, be warned that in
Flanders and Binche there will be many more sewings-into-loops if you go
that route.
 I have just now tried a bundle/plait start and end for an edging,
Pattern XIII, from the Niven book. I am really glad I did - I haven't
tried the 'lassen' (overlap) yet but I'm sure it will work out fine, and
better-looking than sewing out has been, for me. This experiment took
place over many months, start to finish, to be sure, LOL (the start and
finish took no time - it was the length of time to do the means to the
end..) - I found the plait start and finish to be efficient and
immensely free-ing. I'm looking forward to stitching beginning to end
along the diagonal overlap, even though I'm a mess with hand-sewing (and
I don't have a particular use for a hanky edge...). I could even
cavalierly machine-sew with a fine zigzag - I am just so impressed with
it as a method of managing bobbins and threads. Do give it a try.

--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke, BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)