I would suggest day trips by train from London. Three good sized collections can be seen. 1. Cecil Higgins Museum in Bedford has a fantastic collection of Thomas Lester Bedfordshire lace. 2. Wardown Park Museum in Luton: I haven't seen the lace display since it was moved to the ground floor. If the new display is anything like the old, this would probably be the best one to see because all types of lace and their history were on display. 3. Allhallows Museum, Honiton: 99% of the display is gorgeous Honiton lace.

Actually, if she just looks at the lace, not the rest of the museum, Bedford and Luton can be done in one day. (The train to Bedford stops in Luton.) I love going to Honiton, looking at the lace, then rummaging through all the antique shops up and down the High Street.