On Feb 20, 2005, at 4:13, Jean Nathan wrote:

But it's on high quality glossy paper with 30 plus
patterns in each issue by good designers from around the world. If it was
pubished as a book rather than a magazine, it would be considered
inexpensive.

*If* you like pot-luck patterns... :)

I'll buy a book - even a paperback one - either on a particular technique, or by a favourite designer, and count myself lucky, if there are 3 out of 20 that I like well enough to even think of reproducing (one of these days, time permitting). But, since I buy my books mostly to look at and to steal ideas from, not to make the lace from, I prefer to have some prior idea of what I'm likely to get for my money. I never buy "mixed bags" (pattern books issued by lace groups) sight-unseen, because they're too undependable.

I subscribe to various lace magazies (which are, also, "pot-luck" in their partterns) not for their pattern content, but for their human interest/history/techniques content (not necessarily in that order <g>). Don't know about the Lace Express as it is currently but, the first year, *all* it had was patterns - no text at all. So I cut it out after the first year; compared to other *magazines* it was out-of-sight expensive, even then. And now I've cut out La Encajera; they've doubled their price, our dollar has plunged... The whole just doesn't compute.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/