Hi Noelene and Spiders,

I think the demise of craft shops is also well-documented here in the UK
too.   We are very lucky living relatively close to Colchester, as there is
a shop there - Franklins - which has a great supply of wool and fabrics, and
upstairs has even some lace pillows and bobbins, as well as quite a large
selection of threads, but I think this was mainly because one of the ladies
who worked upstairs was a lacemaker.  But - Margaret has left now, and the
lace supplies aren't as plentiful.  I think, like a lot of things, shops
concentrate on the 'craft of the moment', and stock enough stuff to get
someone started in said craft, but then don't have anything else to keep the
interest alive, or to allow the craftsperson to progress.

Lace Suppliers Fairs, and Lace Days too, are a different matter.  We in the
UK are very definitely lucky, in that we could attend Lace Days every
Saturday, and Lace Fairs at least every month, if we wished!    But
arranging these has got to be more complex, as lots of the 'accepted' and
long-term suppliers are retiring, and giving up or working from home.    I
have been arranging a day for June 2006, and am finding that several of the
suppliers won't commit to so far in aadvance - and several years ago, one
had to start arranging Lace Days, particularly the really good speakers, at
least three years ahead! - because they don't know what their circumstances
will be in the next couple of years, or they are saying that they are
stopping travelling, as a lot of lace days have too many suppliers, so it
isn't viable going to a Lace Day where there are less than a hundred
attenders, but where there are six or seven bobbin suppliers, and two or
three general suppliers.   I have always worked on the Lace Guild
recommendations (from may years ago, I must admit) of one supplier to each
25 Lacemakers - this seems quite a reasonable ratio, which appeals to a lot
of the suppliers!

Still - roll on march 13th, when Essex Lace Makers suppliers Fair will be
held in Chelmsford - we can all stock up on whatever we need, and drool over
the things we can't afford, and indulge ourselves in the gadgets we haven't
seen before, but can't imagine doing without in the future.

Carol - in Suffolk UK

Subject: [lace] Lace Shops